Gentle

I sat outside today with a sweater, a glass of seltzer water, and the Word of God. I started with the first letter to the Corinthians, in chapter 2. I love reading about God's wisdom. At the bottom of the page was a footnote leading to Isaiah 40. And whoa boy--there is so much in there. So much I want to sit with and unpack.

But for now, let's focus on verse 11.

He tends his flock like a shepherd. He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young (Isaiah 40:11).

The truth is, this gets me every time. The Truth of this analogy is, God is gentle. And oh how he loves us! He carries us close to his heart. And who does he carry? The lambs, even the weakest of the flock. OH what we mean to him, that he would gather us into his arms, hold us tight, and carry us.

I had an image one time. At my first beloved church, I sat next to college students as we waited for a night of worship to begin. I suddenly had this vision of Jesus, hugging me so tight. Can I convey how great a hug this was? My head nestled, his arms around me, and the desire to never be let go. The lights in the church were dim, and the love of Jesus so warmly felt that I couldn't keep in the tears.

God is gentle. Oh he is caring, and he carries us. Let your gentleness be evident to all, Paul writes (Philippians 4:5). We were made in His image. And He is gentle.

Bless the Lord, oh my soul.




Comments

Popular Posts